The owners of a young Australian dog and a young farm dog have been reunited after the pair lost their lives in a tragic fire at their home in northern New South Wales.
The farm dog died in the blaze at Magnolia Farms, about 40 kilometres (25 miles) south of the town of Wollongong, while the young Australian woman was rushed to the Royal Darwin Hospital with smoke inhalation.
Ms Jones, 26, was the first to be reunited with her pet, but the owners have not said when she will be reunited.
The owner of Magnolia Farm, Joanne Dufresne, said she had been told the young girl had been taken to hospital for a smoke inhalant test and was “fine”.
“It’s an awful tragedy and I know there are people out there who want to help,” Ms Dufre said.
“It is my hope that people will be looking out for the people who lost their pet, and that’s why I’m doing what I can to try and find a way for them to be together.”
Ms Jones and her partner have two young children, aged just five and eight months, but Ms Dafresne said she was not concerned about the family’s wellbeing.
“I’ve been told by my husband that they’re not going to be separated and there will be a reunion, but we’re not sure how soon that will happen,” she said.
The pair were on their way to the Wollondong town to visit a relative, who was a vet, when the fire broke out.
“My husband and I had been going out and shopping and when we got back to the house we found the fire had started in the garage and it was so bad that I couldn’t even see the front door,” Ms Jones said.
“We didn’t think it was fire until we saw the fire in the front yard and the flames were just running up the side of the house.” “
Ms Jones said she thought her partner would not survive. “
We didn’t think it was fire until we saw the fire in the front yard and the flames were just running up the side of the house.”
Ms Jones said she thought her partner would not survive.
“He was just in shock.
He was trying to get out of the garage as fast as he could and he could barely get out,” she told the ABC.
“That’s why we were worried.”
Ms Dalfresne also said she and her husband, David, had been at Magnolias home on Tuesday when the blaze began.
“When we got home we realised it was the same as the last time we went out, but it was very different because it was just so much smoke,” she recalled.
She said the couple were not able to save the young woman.
“They could have saved her, but they didn’t want to,” she added.
The couple had been in a relationship for a year, and had separated last year.
“There were a few people in the neighborhood who had been talking about it and they were really upset,” Ms Smith said.
Ms Daferesne told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation she was distraught when the news of the fire reached her.
“As I was coming home, the flames started and the smoke went straight through my house,” she admitted.
“[My husband] thought we were going to burn down the house, so I had to run and call the police.”
They found the body in the back yard and he [my partner] said that the woman had died on the way to hospital.
“People were really worried.”